Shirley Hicks is a somatic psychotherapist and yoga teacher, with a private clinic in Varsity Lakes, QLD. She has a specific interest in how the body carries unresolved life events and how through “talk therapies” the body is often overlooked. With over 22 years of clinical experience, Shirley has refined the way in which she supports clients to involve their body in the healing process, drawing on the work of Judith Herman, Babette Rothschild, Peter Levine and Bessel van der Kolk.
More about Shirley:
- Shirley is a facilitator with the BlueKnot Foundation, an organisation committed to advocacy and education for survivors of Childhood abuse.
- She provides trauma-informed yoga programs for the Queensland Mental Illness Fellowship
- Shirley runs private, in house Yoga for Emotional Resilience programs.
- Shirley is a clinical member of PACFA ( Psychotherapists and Counsellors Federation of Australia), as well as a Mental Health Practitioner and Supervisor with PACFA.
It is not uncommon for Shirley and a client to be lying in her therapy room on the carpet with their legs up the wall, a well-known yoga position that helps the mind and the body to relax, relieving stress and tension. Creating the perfect foundation for talk therapy to unfold.
- # 63 – Paediatric Chronic Pain with Dr Nicki Ferencz - November 13, 2020
- # 64 – Chronic Pain with Sports and Exercise Psychologist Damien Stewart - November 11, 2020
- # 62 – Pain Management with Dr Jacqui Stanford - November 8, 2020