Dr Rebecca Sng is a Clinical Psychologist, Family Therapist and the Deputy Director of Clinical Psychology at the University of Wollongong, NSW. Alongside her university commitments she works in private practice, seeing Families in the Illawarra area.
Rebecca completed her Doctorate of Clinical Psychology at the University of Sydney in 2006, and a family therapy internship at the ‘Calgary Family Therapy Centre' in Canada, in 2010. Some of her previous work includes as a Consultant Clinical Psychologist at MacKillip Family Services and as the Unit Head at the Alternative Care Clinic, Redbank House. Much of her early work involved working wth children in out-of-home-care who presented with emotional, behavioural and relational difficulties due to complex trauma and attachment disruption.
Rebecca is influenced by and work from various therapeutic approaches including Narrative Therapy, Post-Milan Systemic Family Therapy, Bowen, and Intervention Interviewing.
As a university lecturer, Rebecca is considered by many of her students as inspiring, engaging, and thought provoking – always encouraging curiosity, and for each person to find their authentic voice and style as practitioners.
She is also closely involved with the Australian Association of Family Therapy (AAFT) and the Australian and New Zealand Journal of Family Therapy.
- Michael White – Founder of Narrative Therapy
- Paul Rhodes – Leading Clinical Psychologist and couple & family therapist with thirty years experience in public, private and University settings.
Best Self-Care Tip
It's not a thing you do, its how you think! It's about the concept of arrogance in a therapist. Thinking that we are responsible for a whole bunch of stuff that we're not. One of the really freeing things for me, was the concept that i'm not an expert in this person's life. Once we truly embrace this, the burden lifts. I guess it's about knowing the temporary nature of your contribution.
Please leave Rebecca or myself a comment or some feedback, we’d love to hear from you and I’ll respond to everyone!
Latest posts by Amy Felman (see all)
- # 57 – The Gottman Methodand couples therapy with Clinical Psychologist Trish Purnell-Webb - February 1, 2019
- #56 – Psychodrama in the Criminal Justice System with Clark Baim PhD - October 2, 2018
- #55 – Forensic Psychologist and Adult Parole Board Member Dr David Curnow - February 9, 2018