Kelsey M. Latimer, PhD, completed her doctorate in Counseling Psychology at the University of North Texas in 2009, with emphasis areas in neuropsychology and child/adolescent development. She completed her pre-doctoral internship at the University of Texas at Austin Counseling and Mental Health Center, where she had focused preceptorships in training/administration and eating disorders. Her post-doctoral work was done at Texas Christian University, where she provided specialized treatment in eating disorders, anxiety and crisis management to the general student population and the Fraternity/Sorority Life community.
Kelsey is now a licensed psychologist in the Center for Pediatric Eating Disorders of Children’s Health/Children’s Medical Center, Plano and an Assistant Professor in Psychiatry at UT Southwestern Medical Center. She works in all levels of care, including inpatient and partial hospitalization and leads the intensive outpatient program.
Her research is focused on eating disorder prevention and intervention, and clinical outcomes of eating disorder programs.
Kelsey has presented at over 40 regional/national/
Kelsey’s Best Self-Care Tip
- “Love what you do!” Kelsey describes feeling a complete connection to her work which she believes is the best self-care she can give herself.
- Kelsey recommends being honest with yourself and potential employers about what works for you. For Kelsey, doing full-time clinical work (i.e. 1 on 1 work) was not the right fit. Kelsey has identified that working with the media, presenting to the community and training people, are activities alongside her clinical work that sustain her, and hence found/created a role that enables her to do so.
- Kelsey reminds us that when looking for work it’s important to feel out the process rather than just think out the process, and that there is no point trying to fit a square peg into a round whole!
Please leave Kelsey or myself a comment or some feedback, we’d love to hear from you. I’ll respond to everyone!
Latest posts by Amy Felman (see all)
- #49 – Early Career Psychologist Series, Chapter 2 – Kieran & Tania - August 9, 2017
- #48 – Early Career Psychologist Series, Chapter 1 – Jim Smith - July 24, 2017
- #47 – Sex Therapy with Dr Janet Hall - July 10, 2017