Dr Burrows is a Research Fellow and lecturer at Deakin University, and a Research Fellow at the Centre For Investigative Interviewing. Dr Burrows has a Bachelor of Law (Hons) and Psychology (Hons) and a background in law and child protection. In 2014 she was awarded her PhD for her thesis entitled Improving the Evidential Quality of Child Witness Interviews about Abuse.
Dr Burrows research role involves working closely with police and legal professionals in Australia and overseas to both (a) incorporate legal requirements into child witness investigative interviewing protocol,and (b) provide legal professionals with professional development around principles of child development and trauma so as to minimise systemic abuse of child witnesses and maximise the quality of their evidence.
In addition to her research, Dr Burrows currently chairs the undergraduate unit Child & Adolescent Development (currently undertaken by approximately 1100 students) and teaches across a variety of Psychology undergraduate units including Psychology in the Criminal Justice System and Individual and Social Development.
Dr Burrows opened my eyes to the complexity of investigative interviewing, and her passion and energy for researching, developing and supporting the implementation of best practice in legal systems around the world is inspiring. And a quick note – everything Dr Burrows has said in this interview is based on her own views and not representative of Deakin University.
Kimberlee’s Self-care Tip
- Knowing myself well enough to know where I want to put my priorities, and being comfortable with the decisions I’ve made. For example right now I work 3 days and have 2 days at home with my daughter. When I’m at home, work is not my priority so I won’t think about it then.
- Allocating worry time is helpful. When I drive home from work I have worry time. This helps me be strict and committed to my priorities.
- Leave me or Kimberlee a comment or some feedback about this episode. I’ll respond to everyone!
Latest posts by Amy Felman (see all)
- #46 – Synchronicity & Data Collection in Private Practice with Chris Mackey - June 26, 2017
- #45 – Transdiagnostic Approaches with Dr Peter Norton - June 13, 2017
- #44 – Compassion Focussed Therapy with Dr Dennis Tirch - May 25, 2017